Monday, July 4, 2011

Grice's Conversational Maxim Examples

Relevance: (in person conversation)

Bailee (daughter): How long until the picnic?
Me as the parent: It’s clean up time now.

I didn’t answer her question which violated the Maxim of Relevance. My tone was very affirmative and sarcastic which makes my body language negative. I used the linguistic signal of pointing to what I wanted her to clean so I signaled a change in conversation.

Quality: (telephone conversation)

Heather: How are you doing today?
Me as a friend: Great.

I didn’t answer truthful when she was asking me which violated the Maxim of Quality. Since I knew she was having a great day from the previous conversation prior to her question, I was not truthful. I did respond in a sarcastic manner for the sake of politeness.

Quantity: (in person conversation)

Nicole (friend visiting) Where is the nearest gas station?
Me: up the street

I violated the Maxim of Quantity because I did not respond with an informative response to her question. I also responded with a sarcastic tone along with humorous. I also pointed with a flailing hand up the street with my verbal response and moved my head with a somewhat jerk.

Manner: (in person conversation)

Me: When are you going to finish this kitchen project that was started a year ago?
Husband: When someone is done taking classes, since projects have been put on hold for that.

My husband violated the Maxim of Manner because he is being obscure as to when he is really going to finish the project. He was using sarcasm, but trying to be humorous at the same time and serious with his tone and negative body language. He is also being ambiguous on who that person is, but obviously as the addressee, I knew who he was implying about.

No comments:

Post a Comment